Thursday, December 21, 2006

Will Confidence - Ask The Right Questions

When we evaluate any situation, we will ask ourselves a question. The feelings we create, and the actions we take (or don’t) are determined by the answers we come up with. The more control we exercise over these questions we ask, the more control we have over our state, and thus our potential. Why is this true? Because our brain will focus on where we direct it. For example evaluating an interview or presentation, we might ask, “Why do I get nervous?” or “Why can’t I consolidate my thoughts properly?” In this case, our brain in all its grandeur will find all the reasons you get nervous or can’t consolidate your thoughts, even if there are no legitimate reasons, our brain is so magnificent it will make something up. This can be quite disempowering, alternatively, if we purposefully direct our questions to empower, we will find ourselves asking, “Why was I so confident when I …” or “How can I organize my thinking to better communicate?” and our brain will once again give us the answers.
Fellow speaker and finance expert Maznah Hamid gave me an example of how he developed the confidence to speak in front of large audiences. He stated, “The first workshop I delivered, I did not perform up to my expectations. Yet instead of asking myself, “Why did you mess up?” or “Why don’t you just quit?” I asked myself, “What should I improve on? How can I perform even better?” By asking the right questions, my subconscious delivered some healthy, constructive advice, and I have used this technique ever since. The power of questions has definitely been one of the most important tools in gaining confidence and realizing my success.” Maznah is now one of the most sought after speakers on the subject of how to deliver impactful financial presentations.

No comments: